Seiten

Montag, 15. Mai 2017

On loving change

Current hairstyle. Is probably going to change soon
“Every time I see you, your hair is different.” I can’t count anymore how often I have heard this statement. It perfectly embodies the topic I want to talk about today. Change. 

There is this saying, that humans are a creatures of comfort. That we have to hate change because it rips us out of our routines and habits. That there is only bad in a change in environment and looks. We have to find our personal style, our trademark haircut and our own perfect interior design. I can't quite agree with that. I have always loved change.


Ever since I can remember change has exited me. I loved getting pulled out of my routine. I still do. But now as an adult I am asking myself: Why? Why do I like change that much?
I have found a few answers to that question.
First of all: I grew up with very spontaneous parents. My mother liked to change up our décor in the house every other month and once a year she would rearrange the whole house. It was always a big event that I looked forward to. I overtook that habit of hers and constantly rearrange my flat or change the décor. 
We also moved a lot when I was younger. I cannot remember to ever be upset about it. When I look back, there is only excitement. I have and always will be an adventurer at heart. So every time we moved into a new house or to a new city, it was this big adventure that I looked forward to. 
My parents also depicted change as something positive and nothing to be scared of. 

When I was 9 years old I dyed my hair for the first time. I went jetblack. All my friends were shocked. Their parents even more so. They asked my how my parents could allow me to do that to my hair. None of my friends were allowed to dye their hair until they were 16.
I could not understand that, for me dying my hair different colours meant exploring who I could be. My parents always supported me in that and even encouraged me in changing up my haircut, colour and clothing style.

Now at 20 change is something that I almost practice religiously. I change my room up every other week. Cut my hair whenever I can and so on. I do it partially because it is fun, partially because I need it. 
The downside to loving change is, that the hate for stagnation rises. I can not stand stagnation. I can't understand how people have the same haircut for years on end. It seemed so boring to me. I recently realized why thinking that like that is quite toxic. 
Because I think that stagnation is boring, I can not stagnate. Every time my hair has been the same for a longer period of time, I need to change it. Not because I don't like the style anymore, but because I fear being boring. I can't be content with what I have. Another problem is, that daily life is build up on a routine. There is great comfort in having a routine. It makes day to day life a whole lot easier. With always wanting to switch things up, I am denying myself the comfort of said routine and by that making my life a whole lot harder that it has to be. 
Since realizing that I try to be a little bit more open to the idea of stagnation or rather: consistency. By doing that a bit of pressure has been lifted. I don't have to change something if I like how it is. But If I want to change it, I can.

So what can you take away from this post? I would like yo hair to be a bit more open about change. If you always wanted to have pink hair, do it. Changing haircolours or clothing items is not for ever. It can be very fun. Change is nothing to be scared of. Of cause big life changes can seem scary, but there is always a positive aspect to each event. If you can find that there is no need for dread.  
And if you already in a state of constant change, why not try consistency for a change? ;) 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen