Seiten

Montag, 3. April 2017

My reading year so far

This year I want to finish at least 30 books. As of today I have read thirteen in three months:

January: 
Rebel of the sands
My reading year started with Rebel of the sands by Alwyn Hamilton.
Long story short: I fell head over heels for this book. It was love at first sight: On my way home from university are 3 bookstores. This fact is simultaneously fantastic and very bad (for my bank account). Last November I walked into one of the stores, into the English section and strolled along the shelves. Then a glimmer of gold captured my attention. I pulled the book from the shelf and looked at the cover. The ornaments and the title immediately had me. Then I read the summary on the back side. I knew one thing. I really, really wanted that book. But at the time I did not bought it. I don’t know why, I just didn’t. After that first meeting I went to the bookstore once a week eyeing Rebel of the sands but never buying it. I put it on my birthday wish list, but nobody got it for me. So I decided to buy it as a belayed birthday present for myself. When I arrived at the store, it was gone. Eventually I asked for it for Christmas and received it. I was so overjoyed. Between Christmas and New Year’s I had a lot of time to read. I did not red Rebel of the sands because I was kind of scared. I had built up such high expectations that I was sure the book could not fulfil them. I got proven wrong. When the New Year came around I wanted to start my reading year with a great book, so I started reading Rebel of the sands. I think it took me 2 chapters to fall in love with the protagonist Amani and 3 chapters to fall in love with the story. So far so good for my emotional attached to this book. In the review part I will try to be a bit more neutral (spoiler: I can’t. I just love this book so much).

The story of Rebel of the sands takes place in an Arabic inspired country called Miraji. The story begins with our protagonist Amani, a seventeen-year-old girl, living in the small desert village Dustwalk. She longs to leave the place, due to her very restricted life there. When she meets a stranger called Jin, she sees her chance for escape. From there on the story enfolds.

The strongest points for this book are definitely the characters, the setting and the writing. The story itself is a new interpretation of a few YA (young-adult) clichés and at times a bit predictable but that doesn’t really matter.
Hamilton is very good at writing strong but realistic female characters. Every woman Amani meets is utterly complex and strong in their own way. It was very refreshing to read a book with such a diverse cast of people. Due to the nature of the setting Amani and Jin encounter people from different ethnic backgrounds and cultures. Each culture is represented as having good and bad aspects and so are the characters. The setting and the world that Hamilton creates are stunning. I loved reading about the myths and traditions in Miraij. Overall it seemed like she really researched the culture that her book was based upon.
Hamilton’s writing style is one that still haunts me. She really has her way with words. The following is my favourite quote from the book:

“Tell me that and we’ll go. Right now. Save ourselves and leave this place to burn. Tell me that’s how you want your story to go and we’ll write it straight across the sand” 

 Alwyn Hamilton, Rebel of the Sands


And there are so many more. If you have not read Rebel of the sands, I highly recommend it. You will probably like it if you liked the Mockingjay Trilogy. Overall I gave it 5/5 stars.

The Night Circus

The Night Circus has been on my TBR (to be read list) for a very long time. I never got around to buying it, so when a friend gave it to me for my birthday, I was very happy. It took me two days to finish it. That should give a guideline to how much I liked it.
The Night Circus tells the tale of Celia Bowen and Marco Alistair. Both are apprentices of two powerful magicians, that live in ongoing competition. But they don’t fight themselves but through their respective appetencies: Celia and Marco. This time the competition is held in Le Cirque des Rêves (the circus of dreams), a circus specifically build for this purpose. In an (not-so) unforeseen turn of events Marco and Celia fall in love, despite having to beat one another in the competition.
The book is written by Erin Morgenstern as part of NaNoWiMo .  
The strong parts of the book are the setting and Morgenstern’s descriptive writing which allows the reader to really experience the world. I personally felt that the relationship between Celia and Marco was a bit weak. Both had better written and more believable relationships with other characters in the book. I also didn’t really like the ending, but that is just personal preference. The circus setting was the thing that really made me love the book. Morgenstern writes so detail oriented, that while reading I felt like watching a movie. I gave the book 4,5/5 stars. But only because I read Rebel of the sands beforehand and compared the two.

Legend 
Then I read Legend by Marie Lu. I have heard great reviews about this book, so my expectations were quite high. Unfortunately, they were disappointed. I don’t know if it was the German translation (I read the German edition) or if I simply wasn’t the targeted group, but the book just simply did not manage to catch me. I could not relate to the characters, which felt like simple archetypes, and the story which was very cliché and predictable. Maybe I simply have read enough dystopian YA novels.

Legend is a duo perspective novel, following two main characters: Day and June. Both 15 years old but living in very different circumstances. Day is a criminal mastermind trying to overthrow the military government that rules over a fictive, futuristic north America. June is a prodigy, a brilliant solider of said government. After the tragic death of her brother she is tasked to find Day. From there on the on the story enrolls.  
I gave Legend 2,5/5 stars. You might like this book if you liked the Mockingjay Trilogy and the Divergent Trilogy.

Blutrote Lilien

Blutrote Lilien is a German book by the German author Kathleen Weise. This book was one of my favorites when I was thirteen. I lend it from the library then, so with time passing I forgot the title of this book. In September 2016 I told a friend about this book and with a little help (from google), we found the title. I bought it immediately. In January 2017 I finally came around to reading it. It is a very strange feeling to re-read a book after such a long time. I could still see why thirteen-year-old Miett loved this book, but twenty-year-old Miett found it to be a bit boring and uneventful.
The title translates to “blood red Lillis”. A reference to the symbol of the French king, at least at the time the book takes place. Blutrote Lilien is a mid grade historical fiction novel, loosely based on the real story of Charlotte de Montmorency, a French princess living during the Renaissance. The book describes her arriving at the French curt and her trying to adjust to the new lifestyle. She then falls in love with a prince she should not even know.
The story is very cliché, but if you take the time to research Charlotte de Montmorency, the books’ story gets a bit more interesting. Overall I gave the book 4/5 stars due to nostalgia. You could like this book if you liked the Ruby Red Trilogy.       

Traitor to the Crown
I technically planned to not buy any new books until my current TBR was down to zero, but then I went into a bookstore on the 20.01.17 and saw that the sequel to Rebel of the sands was out. Since I loved the first book so much, I simply had to buy it. I finished it that night. It was so good. It was so good. Usually the second installment in a trilogy lacks a little bit. This is, in my opinion at least, not the case with Traitor to the Crown.

I won’t say too much about the story, since it is a sequel. Hamilton finds a way to keep the story interesting, fast paced but not rushed. In my opinion, the plot is better in this book than in the first, because it is not as predictable. The only thing I did not quite like, is one aspect of the ending, but I will give this one the benefit of the doubt, since I am sure Hamilton will find a way to solve it in the last book.
The book starts with a chapter that is written like a fairy-tale. Even if you don’t plan on buying the book (which you should do because it is amazing), go into a bookstore and just read this part. It does not matter if you have read the first book. There are no spoilers in there, just read it. In my opinion is this chapter one of the most beautifully written things that I have ever read. There isn’t much else to say. I love this series to bits. Gave is 5/5 Stars and would recommend it to everyone.



I do not own a copy of Cruel Crown,
 so Glass Sword had to be the
replacement
Cruel Crown
Cruel Crown is a collection of two short stories. Exploring two characters from Victoria Aveyard’s Red Queen universe. The first short story deals with Queen Coriane’s past and death. The second with Diana Farley a Commander of the Red Guard. I enjoyed the two characters but I did not enjoy the book overall. It felt shallow and was just way too dark for my taste. I know, that that’s what Aveyard wanted, but it just wasn’t for me. I gave Cruel Crown 2/5 Stars. I still would recommend reading the short stories before reading Kings Cage, some plot point are better explained with the knowledge from this short story collection.


February:
The Slow Regard of Silent Things
February started out with the Slow Regard of Silent Things. This book is an experience. Patrick Rothfuss created something truly inspiring and unique. I can’t say too much about the story, because there is none. The whole book is just a description of Auri’s world. There is not a single line of dialog in the novel. While reading, one really feels what Auri feels. Her worries become your worries, and her joy becomes your joy. I have talked with friends about this book. A few of them hated it, found it to be slow and hard to get into. Some even stopped reading it. I guess there is no sense in recommending the book, you just have to see for yourself whether you like it or not. I certainly liked it a lot and gave it 3,5/5 stars.


Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom

It took me two days of nearly no sleep to finish this duology. It was incredible. I still can’t really describe how I feel about this series. I speed read it, but still, I remember every character’s name, looks and plotline. Sometimes I still find myself smiling just because these books exist. As with Rebel of the sands I knew they were good and I waited quite a while to be in the right mind place to really fully experience the world. It was worth it.
The story starts out in Ketterdamm. A city, clearly inspired by Amsterdam, were trade is the law. Our story follows six teenagers (all criminals and on varying degrees of madness) that get the chance of the biggest heist in Ketterdamm’s history. Each character has their own perspective in the book. The book takes place in the same universe as Bardugo’s first Grisha- Trilogy, and so a little bit of magic is to be anticipated.
The story is full of unexpected twist and turns, that match the fast pasted storytelling of the series. I have yet to read a book with better written characters. Their development, their hopes, dreams and struggles are written so convincing, that it is impossible to put the book down.
If you liked the Artemis Fowl and the Bartimaeus series, you will probably like this book and its sequel. I gave both of them 5/5 stars.  

Kings Cage

Kings Cage is the third installment in the Red Queen Series. Story wise I can’t say too much without spoilers since it is the third book. The Red Queen series follows Mare, a young woman with red blood, finding out she possesses abilities only people with silver blood should possess. In the enrolling events she gets caught up in a love triangle between two princes and in a revolution. The series is way darker as other YA novels with a similar storyline, so I was quite relived when this book took a slightly lighter turn. Overall a very good sequel. I gave it 4/5 stars. If you liked the previous installments in this series or the Selection series, you should give it a go.  

March:
The Healing Wars Trilogy
The Shifter/the Pain Merchants, Blue Fire, Darkfall


As with Legend, I am not quite sure, whether I did not enjoy the book because of the translation or because I just did not like it. The Healing Wars trilogy follow the protagonist Nya. A girl with the gift of healing. But unlike other healers, that take the pain and transfer it into a rare metal, Nya can shift pain into another person. A very dangerous and forbidden talent. The story starts when Nya starts a rebellion against the cruel ruler of the country and her friends and family get between the lines. The concept and the setting are very good and interesting. But the characters feel very flat and the quite story rushed. Overall the Trilogy was a light read and enjoyable at times. I gave it an overall 3/5 stars. You might like it if you wished Prim was the Protagonist of the Mockingjay trilogy.










So far I have read some amazing books this year. And if I take a look on my TBR pile I am very sure that more good books are coming. If you have read any of these books, let me know what you thought of them! 


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen